nafex - Re: [NAFEX] asian pear rootstock compatibility?

  • From: hollaus@comcast.net (R F Hollaus)
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] asian pear rootstock compatibility?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:21:33 +0000

John,

I don't believe I've ever heard of doing this else where since the
recommendation is to put asian pears on taller rootstocks, example;
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/pnw/pnw341/#anchor92517
.....clearly states most asian pears require more of a root.

However there are obviously exceptions to everything because I have
used 2 different varieties of asian on the dwarfing OHF513 with NO
problems even when one of the grafts (a whip) is over 14 years old.

My take is that your graft is good but that you might have to water
more than usual to match what conditions I might have here on mine.

RF Hollaus, PNW (zone 7-8)
From: John Smith <friendly27sw@yahoo.com>

> I grafted Chojuro and Shinko Asian pears to OHF87
> rootstock a couple years ago. I also grafted Seckel
> to the same rootstock and planted all three near each
> other in what should have been a good, uniform site.
> After two growing seasons, the Seckel is nearly 7 feet
> tall, while the two Asians have about 2 feet of growth
> total. Does anyone know if there is some sort of
> problem with this particular rootstock for Asian pears?

  • Re: [NAFEX] asian pear rootstock compatibility?, R F Hollaus, 01/11/2008