nafex - [NAFEX] shrubs for chicken yard?

  • From: "Matt Demmon" <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: "nafex list" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] shrubs for chicken yard?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:33:44 -0500

I've been thinking about the flip side of an issue that's been
floating around lately. There's been a lot of interesting talk about
which animals may mesh well in an orchard environment. I'm wondering
if any one has opinions on fruiting shrubs that may benefit from being
in a chicken yard. Something that would handle the high nitrogen
fertilizer on thrive on it, and provide the chickens with food, and
leave some higher up fruits for us. We have a fairly large chicken
run, and only a dozen or two birds at any one time, so it's not like
it's a manure lagoon, but it is about 40% bare ground right now. They
yard is shady in the north and full sun in the south. We're in zone 5,
southeast michigan. I guess I'm mostly curious about what effect the
chicken manure would have on various plants. In my mind I thought
something like elderberries or some brambles might make most effective
use of the nitrogen. I know that different plants react differently to
soils, and while some may be able to utilize it effectively, others
might produce way too much green growth at the expense of health and
fruiting.

-matt demmon

--
-matt