nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting with electric tape

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting with electric tape
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:16:21 -0800 (PST)

For years I've used black tape, the RUBBER electrician's splicing tape (very
stretchy & self-adhesive), and I've been able to trace the relatively few
failures
to either poor cuts causing poor cambial match, or just plain poor scionwood.

I've never seen this tape in any but black, but yes it would be interesting
to try a
comparison of different colors.

I've tried parafilm and I don't understand why others describe it as
stretchy. Is
there more than one kind?

--- Alan Haigh <> wrote:

> "I have used black electrical tape for years, with no problems whatsoever.
> But I am in
> Nova Scotia"
>
> Ditto for me in zone 6 SE NY. The colored tapes cost much more- is the
> danger of burning the scions speculative? In the warmer zones the scions
> presumably sprout earlier under a sun of similar intensity as the sun here a
> couple weeks later. I have heard other claims (speculation?) that the black
> tape creates warmth that speeds the mending process. Maybe one of you out
> there would like to run a controlled experiment with black, white and yellow
> tape.

Be a better friend, newshound, and