nafex - Re: [NAFEX] FEDCO

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] FEDCO
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 07:32:36 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

There is truth to both observations below. However, I also am puzzled by the
lack of interest in plants, soil and environment displayed by some of the
large cash-crop-only farmers. Don't they have spare time for a hobby like
even city people? Why not garden as a hobby? I guess many of them don't
really enjoy it.

Efficiency is a broader issue than $$ in vs. $$ out. If one relies on
supermarkets for one's produce, the family's health is likely impacted by the
sub-par quality food. What impact does that have on the efficiency of the
farmer? What impact does this have on society? Sometimes things look very
practical and sensible until the impacts on greater society are taken into
account.

Anton