nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rhubarb slicer?

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rhubarb slicer?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:37:11 -0800

Well, first, get a good knife sharpener! There are some good, cheap ones.
I don't mean honing tools - I mean things you draw the knife through to
sharpen it. Cooking with proper tools is a joy.

Gather the rhubard in a bunch before slicing, so each slice goes through
many stalks. I might start with four long stalks, cut them in half, maybe
stack/gather those, and then cut into chunks (or slice the stack in half
once more and re-stack).

You probably wouldn't want to spend the money on a commercial high capacity
food processor - much too pricey for what you're doing. A home food
processer would just need to be emptied frequently.

There is a thing called a Salad Shooter, which slices and then 'shoots' the
slices into a bowl. I haven't used one, but it may be the ticket...

~ Stephen