nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Soil Testing - Contaminants

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Soil Testing - Contaminants
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 23:56:52 -0800

This neighborhood went in in the mid-50s. This house was built in 56;
before that, it was farmland. That's not to say someone might have stripped
paint, rebuild engines, or done some other indignity to the soil.

I thought, when I test, to have them check Na, Pb, and may as well do As,
which seems included in most lead screenings anyway.

The spots seem, if anything, to be growing. My initial guess was just
depletion. Really, no answer seems perfect. My current plan is to test,
solarize, green manure, then concentrate on resistant varieties, trying a
few heirloom less-resistant ones now and then.

Thanks, Jim.

~ Stephen