nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone 4 persimmons

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone 4 persimmons
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 07:47:15 -0800

Kenny Maxfield, in Moyie Springs, Idaho who was the American persimmon Interest Group Chairman for several years, grew out seedling persimmons to select in his zone 3-4 climate (-35 hit fairly often) and got a number of seedlings that were very hardy there. He also spearheaded a program of distributing seed from Jim Claypool's best material to other growers in cold climates. I don't know where he is now, or if he still has the seedlings, but if you can find him, he would be worth contacting for material.
One Caveat. In the dry climate of Idaho, persimmons would probably harden off better than they might in areas with regular summer rainfall.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com