nafex - Re: [NAFEX] soil testing

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] soil testing
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:34:16 -0500

Hello,

Any chance there is something under the soil where nothing grows? Large
flat stones, ledge, old septic tanks, old foundations, and the like?

I would imagine that in a place where 50F is considered cold, that water
would be an issue on soil that had things shallowly buried.

The buried objects affect water run off and evaporation even if you do not
ever see them. They could be more than 20" under the topsoil and affect the
surface.

They create arid, micro climates.

Later,
Tom