nafex - Re: [NAFEX] MN 477 apple

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] MN 477 apple
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 22:39:39 -0500

A 17:43 07.12.06 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>Claude, I have read that MN 447 is ready for picking in late September
>or early October (helpful for short-season areas) and that it is a good
>keeper. Can you speak to these points?

Doug, in my orchard near Quebec, MN 447 usually starts falling to the
ground by mid-September, so I pick them at that time. I haven't kept them
for longer than 2 months. I don't have good cold storage, and they were
still in pretty good shape when I pressed them by mid-November. They seem
to keep at least as well as Cortland.

>Also, does it mellow and become
>of more general appeal after keeping some time? I have encountered
>several references to its "strong" flavour which it seems some people
>like and some don't.

I haven't kept it long enough to see a difference in taste. As of the
flavour, I wouldn't say that I don't like it, but I surely wouldn't eat
tons of it. That is why I would recommend to only graft a branch of it, so
one could check it out before planting more. I have pressed it for juice -
the juice is good but not exceptionnal. Acidity is rather high and sugar
content good for juice but not quite high enough for cider (hard).

>I have also read that MN 447 is a seedling of Malinda, a hardy old
>Vermont(?) apple used for breeding in Minnesota; also that MN 447 was
>one of the parents of Sweet Sixteen and Keepsake, along with Northern Spy.

This is the same information that I have got.

>MN 447 has been sold by nurseries on the Canadian Prairies for use in
>the southern portions of those provinces in zone 3a. I don't know what
>the experience has been. I have a vague impression that it is very hardy
>in zone 4. Comments on this point would be interesting.

It is very hardy in my location in zone 4. I know it is grown near
ThunderBay in zone 3 where it is also hardy.

Claude
Quebec