nafex - Re: [NAFEX] {NAFEX] varmints and netting

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] {NAFEX] varmints and netting
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:20:21 -0600

We did something similar, but we aren’t real pleased with sewing the netting to get enough width.  We had 14 or 15 foot wide stuff that we sewed together.  We use 1 ½ PVC pipe, 3 pieces connected with elbows to make a “U”, to make a framework for a temporary cage over our cherry trees.  Three “U” assemblies fastened to fence posts enable us to put netting over 2 dwarf pie cherries so we have a better chance of getting fruit.  Since I have planted more cherries, I need to make more nets, and was glad to find that 30 foot wide netting is available.  I will be  trying harder to keep the newer cherry trees smaller so that the netting covers them better.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI

Eric White wrote:

We use "monofilament" netting extensively in our orchard, and hate it because it catches on everything. It however, increases our fruit harvest by 50-100% (depending on how well the birds like the particular fruit tree).

We bought a 5000' roll 17' wide (~$1200), pull off ~ 50-60' sections fold it in half then sew up the top with plastic baling twine. These last for years (3-5 yr depending on how badly you get them stuck taking them off). To put them over the trees, we use 10' 1-1/4" white PVC pipe (doesn't catch the net), Fold the net in half so the "closed end" and the "open end" are together (open end on top) and away from the tree and with one person on each side using the poles, lift up and place the netting to the middle of the tree, then pull the top folded part the rest of the way over the tree. We  then close the netting using clothes pins. It takes ~ 10-15 min to put on a 10 -12' tree, and less time to get it off. Larger trees take more work, and we use scraps as "skirts" on larger trees. We catch a few birds, most get chased out when we see them.