nafex - [NAFEX] Plastic Straws for Mason Bees

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Plastic Straws for Mason Bees
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:40:18 -0600

When I first got interested in Mason Bees and had ordered some cardboard straws for them, I thought to try plastic tubing. Since I make maple syrup and gather sap with (vinyl) plastic tubing, I decided to try that tubing since it is 5/16" diameter inside. I stuffed as many as would fit into Campbell's soup cans and fixed them tightly near the cardboard straws. From my subsequent observation, the bees used the vinyl tubing as often and the cardboard straws. When I retired some, I cut them apart to determine depth usage finding penetration was about equal in both cardboard and vinyl.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: