nafex - [NAFEX] Frost Protection

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Frost Protection
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:34:10 -0600

Back when I was a consultant to Kimberly-Clark, I shared greenhouse space with researchers who were achieving successes in frost protection. They sprayed tomato plants with ascorbic acid then subjected them to overnight freezes. That's all I know about it because their vice president cancelled their funding because their project didn't fit within the guidelines of the company which is making (Kleenix) tissue, etc. If anyone wants to continue the research, it is not proprietary information.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

Freeze damage is usually caused by ice crystals bursting cells or doing other damage. I'm just wondering here if anyone knows of any serious research regarding absorbable sprays or soil amendments that could be taken up by plants to increase plant cell resistance to freeze damage?

John

  • [NAFEX] Frost Protection, Jim Fruth, 11/25/2007