nafex - Re: [NAFEX] winter and trees in pots, Amanda's experience

  • From: Amanda Emily <amanda@wa-geek.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] winter and trees in pots, Amanda's experience
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:17:33 -0800

Sorry I haven't replied back sooner, thanksgiving holiday and family showing up.

The barrels are sitting on a 3" deep bed of lava rock - it may or may not hold in heat from the day and distribute it at night.

Nighttime temps drop below 0 in late Dec-early Jan and climb into the teens during the day and it stays like that for 3-4 weeks.

A picture of William's Pride on M26 is here http://www.amandaemily.com/williamspride-2.jpg

The view in this image is facing towards the southwest, the tree is around 6 1/2 - 7' tall, not including the barrel. The lavarock you see on the surface of the barrels was placed this year due to the neighbor's cats discovering and using it as a kitty-box. The tree I'll admit is a bit skimpy thanks to Bambi and her friends using it as a salad bar a few months ago.

Alan Haigh wrote:
I wrote an article I recently submitted to Pomona titled True Lies in Horticulture Fruit Growers Should Know About which is about how actual experience in garden and orchard often contradicts the carefully obtained results of horticultural research. Of course research is always based on a much narrower range of variables than what exists in the outside world- nowhere is this more true than in horticulture.
Now that you've tested the pots for escape roots I wonder if there are other protective factors at work here such as the ability of that lava rock to store heat and transmit it to the pots? Are your cold periods of very short duration where day temperatures quickly moderate the extremes of the night so the cold doesn't have time to penetrate the barrels?
Where we get our worst winter damage from extreme weather is after either sudden changes in late winter when trees are just becomming active or after long periods of very cold weather with insufficient snow cover to insulate the ground. Two or three consecutive very cold nights sandwiched between very cold days can do much more damage than a single extremely cold night.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):