nafex - [NAFEX] Pitting Chokecherries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pitting Chokecherries
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:15:43 -0600

When I was picking Chokecherries, I encountered a couple who make pie out of them. When I asked them how they removed the pits, they said they don't. They spit out the seeds before they swallow.
There must be someone who has succeeded in pitting wild cherries because there are three Chokecherry Festivals where everything Chokecherry is offered for sale. The three are Lewistown, Montana, Lander, Wyoming and Lancer Saskatchewan.
Do any of you know how to remove the pits?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: