nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Primocane bearing red raspberries

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Primocane bearing red raspberries
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:42:56 -0800

I find that the fall raspberries only taste good while it is still warm out. Even by mid October they are really sour. They look nice added to some sweeter fruit, so I am still picking them, but I don't eat them as I pick.

I have Autumn Bliss and Boyne, but I am giving away the Boyne to a nephew with ten acres. They need to be where the climate is mean, or where the surroundings are vaster than my half acre. I put in six plants last year, have been pulling out new shoots regularly, but they form a solid block about 13 metres long and 3 metres wide. They are vigorous enough to be able to outgrow the munchings of deer, elk and probably moose as well.

Are there any that continue to be sweet into November? A few years ago when I asked the same question, someone recommended Amity, developed in Oregon. I haven't found a source for it yet.

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8, cool Mediterranean climate
mild rainy winters, mild dry summers