nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT Parsnips?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT Parsnips?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:20:10 -0600

I am just digging up my first parsnip crop. It looks more like science
fiction than it does like a store parsnip. There is a very broad (8 or 9
inch) crown which is maybe 5 inches deep and then disintegrates into a
twisted mass of roots suitable for late night TV SciFi movies. What happened?

Um,... aliens? :-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I don't know, but I planted carrots this year (carrots! what was I thinking?) that ended up that way. But this was in heavy clay soil that hadn't been worked before, and it turned into a brick in our hot, dry summer. How is your soil there? If it's too hard, the root might have trouble forming a nice round shape, and just expand where it finds cracks and crevices.

Just an idea. I've never grown parsnips myself.

Bill

--
In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms. - Stephen Jay Gould