nafex - [NAFEX] Late grapes

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Late grapes
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:56:56 -0600

A couple of weeks ago, I was cutting off the bird netting from my Concord grapes (I really need to investigate disposable netting next year, since there's no way I can remove it in one piece), when I found a half-dozen small bunches of grapes - long, long after the main crop had ripened. These were smaller than normal - the grapes and the bunches - but still delicious. I had more late grapes than this, but the birds got some of them (those that were poking through the netting), and I picked some of the others too early (as sour as little lemons!). They were all growing from this year's canes.

But my question is this: Was this an indication that I'd actually pruned TOO severely last spring? Or just one of those things that Concord grapes do?

I had a ton of grapes this year, and I'd actually wondered if I hadn't pruned enough. But these Concord grapes are so incredibly vigorous that I'm now wondering if I should have left even more when I pruned them. Note that they were hit hard by our April freeze, too - they looked terrible after that - but they still grew like crazy and produced a LOT of grapes.

Just wondering. I have to admit that it was nice to get a few late grapes, but there weren't enough of them to make all that much difference. Still, it appears that I can't be doing TOO badly (or, more likely, that they're just so easy to grow that it's almost impossible to screw things up).

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others. - Samuel Johnson