nafex - Re: [NAFEX] brown tor resistance, was: Plum Curculio Resistant Cultivars

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] brown tor resistance, was: Plum Curculio Resistant Cultivars
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:59:14 -0500

According to my reading, movement of minerals (and I presume sugars and other items) across a graft union tends to be imperfect. The concentration in the sap above the union (for upward movement of minerals) is less than below. I don't recall reading anything about how the degree of obstruction might vary with for example, genetic relatedness of rootstock and scion, but I guess that there would be a relationship.

There has been some work on own-rooted peach trees going back 20-30 years or so. I don't know the methods used but there is a wide range of possiblities from cuttings treated with rooting hormones down to tissue culture.

Doug Woodard
St. catharines, Ontario, Canada

Mark & Helen Angermayer wrote:
Anton,

Why would switching to "own rooted trees for new plantings" increase uptake
of available calcium? Also, how is a peach tree grown on it's own roots?
I've never seen peach trees advertised other than on commercial rootstocks
(Bailey, Halford, Lovell). Do you mean burying the peach tree below graft?
How successful is this in causing the peach tree to root out?

Mark
KS

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anton Callaway" <>

[snip]