nafex - [NAFEX] Fruit in shade & invaisive plants

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fruit in shade & invaisive plants
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:38:22 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Regarding invasive plants. I think it depends on where you live. Wineberry
does not appear to be invasive here. An experinced gardening friend has lost
it twice here in zone 5 new Mexico.

Regarding fruit in shade. To some extent it depends on the climate in
Illinois Cornus mas grew well in full sun to part shade. In high elevation
New Mexico. It is stunted without at least part shade, though this may
really be a moisture issue.

Regarding persimmons and shade. Based on the experiences Jerry Lehman and I
had at Claypool's orchard (southern Illinois), persimmon trees (the American
one, D. virginiana) when crowded for sun grow much more vertically (and
taller) and lose their lower limbs. Eventually there was little access to
scion wood and the fruit falls a much longer distance. The trees in a wider
landscape setting with sun from the sides remained shorter and kept their
lower limbs. I have also seen the same effect on different sides of the same
tree. Many tree do this, but the question was regarding persimmons. I think
various currents and gooseberries may be the most shade tolerant if you
actually want fruit too and are in a temperate zone. Pawpaws need shade when
they are young, but once the one I had on the North side of a 6 foot fence
got above the fence there were many more flower buds on the part that had
full sun than the shaded part. Who knows how much sun It would tolerate in
New Mexico.

Martha

  • [NAFEX] Fruit in shade & invaisive plants, Martha L. Davis, 11/11/2007