nafex - Re: [NAFEX] red maples

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] red maples
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 12:51:12 -0600

A study was just published on that. BAsically, the reesearcher found that the red dye was there as a sunscreen to protect the leaves after chlorophyll was broken down. The tree uses energy (sugar) to make the dye, in exchance for keeping the leaves alive while nitrogen is salvaged for next year.
The study claimed that in trees that sometimes, but not always show red leaves, it is an indicator of nitrogen stress.
LINK: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071025112042.htm

Wow, great link! I learn so much from this NAFEX list!

Thanks for posting it.

Bill
Lincoln, NE

--
I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies. - President Thomas Jefferson