nafex - [NAFEX] Medlars

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Medlars
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 20:49:39 -0800

Had a surprise today. I went to check my medlars and found that a fair number had already bletted on one of the tree medlar trees I have. They are all the same variety, "Nottingham". That was the first time that has happened here. Usually the fruits drop before they blet. Another aspect of the different weather, apparently. There weren't any marks or indications of injury that might have sped up the process, either. The flavor seemed more intense than the usual ones, bletted off the tree. If there was a way to breed for "tree ripened" medlars, it could be useful. No storing or bletting needed, just process the picked fruit into pulp immediately.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com