nafex - [NAFEX] Acorns & grafting oaks (& persimmon)

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Acorns & grafting oaks (& persimmon)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:14:43 EDT

In a message dated 10/31/2007 5:50:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu writes:

One other thing I forgot to mention - the folks who first taught me
to graft oaks recommended against grafting scions with the big
terminal bud cluster in place - better to use a 2 or 3-bud piece,
with the terminal cluster snipped off.

Hi Lucky,

I never use the terminal but when grafting persimmon either. Cut if off! I haven't kept accurate records but remember the success rate using terminal buds seems to be lower. I also have started using just one, no more than two side buds. Too many often produce more of a bush than a central leader tree.

Jerry

See what's new at http://www.aol.com

  • [NAFEX] Acorns & grafting oaks (& persimmon), Jwlehman, 10/31/2007