nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Vinegar

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Vinegar
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 08:32:11 -0500

If you can keep the vinegar organisms out to start with, keeping air out of your bottle or whatever you are fermenting in should ensure you get wine rather than vinegar. Leaving plenty of room at the top of the jar or bottle and opening it at intervals or just tying a cloth over it should ensure vinegar rather than wine. Normally we get wine, but I have tried making hard cider and it goes to vinegar nearly every time. I kind of hate to pasteurize it first. Normally I bring home apples from various trees I know of, as mine aren't producing, but this year there are no free or cheap apples. The one green grocer I have access got his apples from Virginia this year instead of from the Sequatchie Valley as usual. Donna