nafex - [NAFEX] winemaking books

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] winemaking books
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:23:28 -0400

Buyer Beware Guys !!

I have bought some good winemaking books.
I have bought some "just plain wrong" ones, too.
Also there are 'collections of bad recipes' out there.. by wanna-bees.

I have read all of these, and then some duds: (all bought used)

The cider book by Proulx and Nichols is excellent.
Wine books by S. Anderson and his wife are excellent.
Winemaking with Elderberries by Belt, has some interesting info. (and a ton of oddball recipes)
130 New winemaking recipes is OK; presents new ideas....
Scientific Winemaking Made Easy by Mitchell kicks ass! It gives the reader much more respect for the job.
Tritton's guide to Better Wine etc.. is OK
Winemaking at home by Homer Hardwick is a very good book.
Also:
First Steps in winemaking (so I hear) is also good.

I did not list the 'duds' here. You'll be able to tell them apart, very quickly with some experience.

Basically, you can make fruit wine from just about anything. I've seen recipes for Turnip wine. BARF !!! Hurl !!
Will anyone want it, is the question.
Start with an easy recipe like apple wine, learn the ropes, and the pitfalls, then try some of the fancier stuff.
It really is fun. Your friends will love you for it, too !

Murph

  • [NAFEX] winemaking books, Richard MURPHY, 10/26/2007