nafex - [NAFEX] u-pick prices shocker....

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] u-pick prices shocker....
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 17:28:08 -0400

Hi Kids;

I went to a couple of U-Picks today. What mobs!!  Yay!!

The first was Nashoba Valley in Bolton, MA.
They are also a winery and snazzy restaurant. Nice place.
Apples, u-pick, $12 per Peck  holy cow!! (I was shocked)
At least they had some decent Golden Russets............
Very surprised that these folks didn't sell cider, or coffee, or scones, or any of that stuff.
Hundreds of people. All out to do what's American; "go places and eat things".
Un-tapped profit, also a shocker.

The next place, Shartner farm in Bolton, MA.
No winery, no restaurant, no nothin'. Nice, too. (for us 'regular' folk)
Apples, u-pick, $10 per peck   Jeezizzzzz.

Don't forget; this is Yuppie Land, right outside Boston.
La - de - dah  folks in $40K SUVs and matching his / hers ball caps.
I love them, one and all.

Interesting, down where I live, (Norton) about 50 miles south, we got one decent orchard.
C N Smith in East Bridgewater.
When you see folks picking there, they are after 'econo-fruit', and not so much the 'apple experience'.
The want to make pies and eat fruit. Yes, there are a few yups, but mostly families.
They even sell 'utility grade' apples in the store. They go quick.

So, in retrospect, I should have grown a hundred U-Pickers for the masses, and not so many Antiques.
Oh well, never too late.

How much are U-Pick apples in your corner of the world?
Are your customers driving Hummers or Chevys?
Either way, I hope you had a profitable year.

Richard Murphy