nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Summer Pruning Mulberries for Dwarfing

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Summer Pruning Mulberries for Dwarfing
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:18:55 -0500

Last winter or spring Pomona published an article I wrote titled Pruning By Numbers. It might be helpful for you to refer to that.

Unfortunately, after procrastinating for a few months, this is my first issue of Pomona.

For mulberry trees it is also effective to train the branches you leave to a weep by pruning branches back to hanging wood. This won’t affect a branch like stub-cutting because the downward pointing piece you leave will send a hormonal message not to go vegetative at the point of the cut. I have successfully transformed Illinois Everbearings into a less vigorous weeping shape by doing this.

This is really a fantastic idea,... and it would never have occurred to me! Thanks very much! I'll have to try that.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx