nafex - Re: [NAFEX] seruice fruit

  • From: hans brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] seruice fruit
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 22:17:29 +0200

Hallo Del,

Let me explain, but Lon will be able to explain it much better:

Sorbus domestica fruits are containing many different Phenoles.
These Phenols are 'condensating' later to different Tannines.
This process is making the wine (e.g. Apple-wine) more clear AND is conservating the wine,
because still some Phenoles are left and they are anti-bactericide.
Such a wine is becoming very stable.
And the taste is increased.

The same is done with some Red-wines if they put it into (fresh) Oak-tree vessels.
The Tannin from the Oakwood is doing the same. These vessels are called 'Barriques'.
Of course now-a-days this process is done also artificially with Oakwood-chips or even concentrate.

Sorbus domestica juice has one of the highest TEAC-values (Trolox-Equivalent-Antioxidative-Capacity)!!!
Some Red-wines have a TEAC of 11, some good Apples a TEAC of 2 or 3, but
Sorbus domestica juice has a TEAC of 146 !
These antioxidative reaction of the different Phenoles have anti-carzinogen, anti-histamin, anti-viral, anti-bacterial reaction and
they catch free radicals and much more.

In the past they used e.g. a ratio of 3:1 or 3:2 of S.domestica to Apple juice.
Today they use only 5 to 15% S.domestica juice for the production of exellent Apple-wine ('Speierlingsäpfelwein').
One reason is the price of the S. domestica fruits.

ciao
hans

Del Stubbs schrieb:
Hans,
What an amazing tree, how is the fruit important in apple wine?
Del

--- hans brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de> wrote:

Hallo Lon, Lee and Rob,

I just saw your question and answers and let me add some important
informations.
Some Sorbus domestica cultivar trees are looking like a mixture of
European Mountain Ash with an average Apple tree.
They have very, very beautifull fruits, but with 40 years they are
already old.
But some other Sorbus domestica cultivars are looking more like a big
Oak tree.
Some are up to 400 years old with a trunk diameter up to 1.45 m and up
to 1000kg fruits per tree!
Not very few S. domestica have a height of more than 30 m at Germany.
This means you can find cultivars for an average garden and cultivars
even for forestry.
At Germany the highly prized fruits are very necessary for the
apple-wine production.

S. torminalis fruits are used sometimes for a very high prized snaps at
Austria.

Let me add this very much reduced 24 KB photo from a German Sorbus
domestica tree for a better understanding.

ciao
hans      Germany

Lon J. Rombough schrieb:

I haven't taken time to learn _all_ the ways to use them, but Hans
Brinkman has sent me pictures of some selected types in Germany that
have enormous clusters and are used for juice and other products. At
very least, the types he showed me are magnificent ornamentals. The
wood is extremely hard, too.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, *The Grape Grower, *at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner of the Garden Writers Association
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com