nafex - [NAFEX] Off-topic - Yew pruning

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Off-topic - Yew pruning
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:30:14 -0500

This is off-topic (hmm,... unless yew berries are edible?), but I figured this group would know the answer.

I've been cutting back some old, tall yew bushes the last couple of years. Since I was cutting down to bare stems, I cut 1/3 of them in the spring of 2006 and another 1/3 (or a bit more) this spring. I was going to cut off the remainder next spring, but I wonder if I could do it this fall, instead?

Any problems with that? The bare stems have sprouted out pretty well, especially those that I cut a year and a half ago. But they don't sprout out very quickly - these are very old, very thick trunks - so I don't think I'd have to worry about new growth before winter. Any other problems with doing it now?

And if I can cut them off this fall, should I do it now, or wait a month, or what? Any recommendations? I really don't think I can kill these things if I tried, but I'd just as soon do it right.

Thanks much,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for enough good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

  • [NAFEX] Off-topic - Yew pruning, William C. Garthright, 09/14/2007