nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Virus Link to Vanishing Bees

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Virus Link to Vanishing Bees
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 13:13:32 -0500

Back when the mites started, some beekeepers did well using herbs to control them, before there were chemicals approved for the purpose. If it is indeed a virus causing CCD, here are some herbs that beekeepers might try. I have taken bits from several websites, plus there is a terrific article on Chinese formulas for viruses at http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/article.php?id=30038. This is well worth reading before flu season rolls around. Some of these herbs are flowering plants that beekeepers might do well to plant near their hives to protect them from infection by the virus. Others might best be used as a tincture, either offered as drinking water, mixed with a feeding solution, or even sprayed on the bees at intervals to be groomed off. Donna

In my experience, there are several herbs that work best to suppress viruses; licorice, lomatium, osha, astragalus, and elderberry

Others: lemon balm, eucalyptus, forsythia, giner, shiitake, juniper

Astragalus (Astragalus, various species). Also known as huang qi, this is an immune-boosting herb from China. In one small Chinese study, ten people whose heart muscles were infected by Coxsackie B virus, which causes the heart inflammation known as myocarditis, received injections of astragalus extract for three to four months. The activity of their natural killer cells, a component of the immune system, rose 11 to 45 percent. They also showed increased levels of alpha- and gamma-interferon, the body's own antiviral compounds. Not surprisingly, their symptoms improved. European studies suggest that, as withechinacea, many of the immune-stimulating compounds in astragalus are active when taken orally.

Dragon's blood (Croton lechleri). This herb is also known as sangregrado or sangre de drago. There's a good reason why dragon's blood is on the back cover of the Amazonian Ethnobotanical Dictionary, which I co-authored in 1994 with Rodolfo Vasquez, botanist at the Missouri Botanical Garden. Several compounds in it, among them dimethylcedrusine and taspine, have antiviral and wound-healing properties that may be especially useful against the viral sores caused by herpes. The natural mixture of all three compounds heals wounds four times faster than the individual compounds alone.

I use dragon's blood when I get cuts or abrasions in tropical Peru. Unfortunately, this herb is not yet widely available in the United States, although I expect that it will be soon. It is applied externally.

Garlic (Allium sativum). In addition to its well-known antibacterial action, garlic is also antiviral. Several of the sulfur compounds in garlic are active against the flu virus, according to Heinrich P. Koch, Ph.D., professor of pharmaceutical chemistry and biopharmaceutics at the University of Vienna, and Larry D. Lawson, Ph.D., a research scientist at an herb company in Utah, authors of Garlic: The Science and Therapeutic Application of Allium Sativum and Related Species.

Again, I'm reluctant to point to any specific compounds in garlic, because I suspect that they all somehow work together.

Some physicians who use herbs recommend taking two garlic capsules a day to treat colds, flu and other viral infections. But I prefer fresh garlic to capsules, and so does naturopath Jane Guiltinan, N.D., chief medical officer of Bastyr University in Seattle. She recommends consuming up to a dozen cloves a day. To avoid colds, I'd suggest you go ahead and eat a lot of garlic as a preventive. The other food to favor is onion, a close relative of garlic, which has similar though less potent antiviral action.

Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis). Like echinacea, goldenseal is an immune stimulant, thanks to the berberine it contains. I often use it in combination with echinacea.

Juniper (Juniperus, various species). Even among herbalists, it's not widely known that juniper contains a potent antiviral compound (deoxypodophyllotoxin). Juniper extracts appear to inhibit a number of different viruses, including those that cause flu and herpes. Sometimes when I feel a cold coming on, I make ajuniper tea.

Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis). Also known as melissa, this herb is highly recommended as an antiviral, especially against herpes. I would try lemon balm for treating any viral infection. It makes a very pleasant tea.

Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra). Among its many other medicinal uses, licorice is active against many types of viral infections. One of its eight active antiviral compounds, glycyrrhizin, inhibits a number of processes involved in virus replication, among them penetration of the body's cells and replication of viral genetic material.

You could try a tea made by adding a few teaspoons of chopped dried root per cup of boiling water; steep for about ten minutes.

Shiitake (Lentinus edodes). This tasty Asian mushroom contains a compound called lentinan that has antiviral, immune-stimulating and anti-tumor properties, according to a report published in the Lawrence Review of Natural Products, a respected newsletter. Its antiviral action has been demonstrated in experiments with laboratory animals. Shiitake extract helped protect mice against viral encephalitis.

Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus.) Several compounds in eucalyptus, hyperoside, quercitrin and tannic acid, have virus-killing properties, according to pharmacognosist (natural product pharmacist) Albert Leung, Ph.D.

Forsythia (Forsythia suspensa) and honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica). Whenever I feel a cold or flu coming on, I mix up a revered Chinese tea combo with honeysuckle and forsythia. Sometimes I add a little antivirallemon balm. Like lemon balm, honeysuckle and forsythia contain compounds that are proven virus killers. I find the combination of honeysuckle, forsythia andlemon balm especially nice in hot tea just before bed.

Ginger (Zingiber officinale). Good old ginger is good for more than just motion sickness and upset stomach. According to my database, it contains ten antiviral compounds. So if you have a viral illness, you could try someginger tea or add ginger liberally to dishes you cook. Many of the antiviral compounds in ginger also appear in turmeric.

St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum)

This beautiful yellow flower yields a blood-red tincture that I take by the dropperful to prevent viral infections such as the flu. A dropperful in the morning throughout the cold months is adequate for prevention. I increase that to 2-3 dropperfuls a day if I have been exposed at home or at work to the flu. If I do get sick, I will use other herbs to counter the infection. Capsules of St. J's are ineffective; I only use the tincture.

Elder (Sambucus canadensis)

Elder flowers are a nice remedy for those with a feverish cold, but for those with the flu, I prefer elder berries. The most common way to take them is in the form of a syrup. The immune enhancing properties of elder berries are renowned in Europe and slowly gaining popularity in the United States. Elder berry syrup also eases coughs and lung congestion.