nafex - Re: [NAFEX] paw paw seedling and asian pear help

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] paw paw seedling and asian pear help
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:39:42 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

James,

I suggest that you go to this website for pawpaw seed planting; http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/CropFactSheets/pawpaw.html

Jim Nottke

-----Original Message-----
From: James G Steen
Sent: Aug 27, 2007 7:52 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: [NAFEX] paw paw seedling and asian pear help

Hi,
Could someone(s) please let me know how best to treat paw paw seeds for  planting out. I've heard they need 3 months cold, is the refridgerator, freezer, or a winter out-of-doors preferable? Also, when is the best time to plant them? I'm in the mountains of north carolina where some odd winter days can range from 30 to 70 degrees outside.
Also, does anyone have suggestions on what kind of asian pear rootstock to use for a sandy upland soil. My farm is also dry, it's one of the driest climates (a mountain microclimate) east of the mississippi. I appreciate Nafex and you'all. The conference was great
Geoffrey Steen
Warren Wilson College
Swannanoa, NC

Got a little couch potato?