nafex - [NAFEX] suggestions of good European plum cultivars

  • From: Ray Kaminski <rjkaminski@charter.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] suggestions of good European plum cultivars
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:29:06 -0500

Deb you asked. One of the best dark blue plums that is great for me in zone 4-5 if the one I planted about 10 years ago. It is Millers Big Blue Plum. It is as the catalog describes it. Very productive, sweet big and some how it has a large crop every year. It is self fruitful, freestone and scrumptious. I have ordered from Millers for years and have never been disappointed. I have about 6 blue plums and the second choice is Mount Royal. Again a good tasting and productive plum but if it over sets the following year it will crop lightly. By over sets I mean where the branches are almost hitting the ground. Planting the ones that are not self fruitful in my count is a losing battle as with about 6 trees and 10 different varieties grafted onto them I am lucky if I get an ice cream pail full total in one season. The pollination is not there as they bloom heavy and early but the wind is still cool and I am not sure if the bees are active enough. Not so with the self fruitful ones and right now if the Big Blue ones were ripe I would get two 5 gallon pails full.. Ray