nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fixes for squirrels?

  • From: Amanda Emily <amanda@wa-geek.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fixes for squirrels?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:50:38 -0700

For the crows. Go to Michaels or your local craft store and get a fake crow and hang it in your tree so it appears to be dead. Seriously, it works. My neighbor feeds every stinking crow in town (they follow his truck around begging for food) and it keeps them away from my trees.

For the squirrels, I haven't tried it since my cat took care of the squirrel population, but a mixture of 50-50 peanut butter and *dry* plaster of paris into "squirrel snacks" and leaving them where they can get them takes care of that problem according to some of the farmers around here. Causes death by a hypercalcaemia -induced heart attack (same way squirrel bait works, just faster).

Amanda

Colville, WA

Dianne Stephany wrote:
Hi Jenny,
That is a great idea - > why not ask a dog to have a talk with the squirrels? >
It would work great if we had a dog or even if a neighbor had a dog. I could ask it to do the job. Neither my husband nor I are here enough during the day for a dog. It would be alone too much and lonely. When we moved here our new neighbors asked suspiciously "you don't have a dog, do you?"
We live in the suburbs with a 1/2 acre and I have always wanted Llamas as guard animals. They are great at keeping animals and people away, and would understand enough to eat only the fallen fruit and not to snack on the leaves or branches. But of course that is not practical in the middle of a half million metropolitan area.

I am putting the squirrel and crow problem down as a result of a weather and pray that it doesnot happen again next year.
Thanks! I am still open to ideas. I had been giving thought to a water squirter on a motion detector- but that would work for only a few trees and other problems like height and water supply. I am thinking seriously about blood meal and cayene pepper to spray the fruit, but it might keep the squirrels at bay, though probably not the crows.

thanks
Dianne Stephany, zone 5

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----