nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Travel to Clemson (Donna &/or Kieran)

  • From: "Shirley Murphy" <samurphy@isp.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Travel to Clemson (Donna &/or Kieran)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:16:15 -0500

Donna,
Thanks for sharing your routing thoughts with NAFEX.  You will have a nice scenic drive with camping as a bonus.  The route from Savannah, TN through Atlanta still seems like the best plan for me.  I shall leave the return routing open.  I look forward to meeting the folks that go with the names and conversations.
Shirley

For anyone driving from the west, I talked to Ann Peck, rose fancier
extraordinare who lives near Knoxville and travels a lot.  She says that the
interstates over the mountains are jammed with traffic, and that bridge
inspections were making things worse.  However, she says that all other
routes are worse.  I asked her about two routes I was looking at.  She says
that 25 down from I-40 into Greenville is an excellent road.  She also said
Maggie Valley was nice, but it looks like you can only get there by going
through the dreaded Sevierville or Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg routes.  I
asked about going Waynesville to Brevard to Pickens Sc via the Blue Ridge
parkway.  She said the speed limit is 45 on it, but it is crowded with
octogenarians driving VERY slowly.  She says that Junaluska has a nice old
resort, very historical.  The only way I can convince my husband to go to
the meeting is to do some camping on the way to or from, so we will have to
take some of these slower, more scenic routes at some point.  I'll want to
get a good look at the country side, the plants will be so different.
    One year we went over the mountains and through the Shenandoah Valley.
I was struck by how big and healthy and lush everything was.  Apple trees
were not only bigger than here, but they had a lot more blooms.  And the
lilacs in bloom, beautiful!  They usually freeze out here.  You know, if
there was a condo selected for frustrated NAFEXers, I guess it would be in
CA or Michigan for the whole harvest season.  We could select which crop we
wanted to be there for, bring coolers and a food dryer, and go pick or buy
and process.  It would make me simultaneously gloriously happy and intensely
miserable to be in Michigan for the cherry or apple harvest.
  Donna

  • Re: [NAFEX] Travel to Clemson (Donna &/or Kieran), Shirley Murphy, 08/10/2007