nafex - [NAFEX] oddball plums and Cats

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] oddball plums and Cats
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:55:23 -0400

Murphy Again, I'm afraid..............

This is odd........
I have 4 plum trees, planted in a 10 foot circle (on trial).
Zone 4, Maine. Good farm soil, a little clayish.
Bought all 4 from AA Vineyards.
All 4 appear to have Myrobolan stock.
All were planted 2005.
2 are Stanley and 2 are Mount Royal.
The Mount Royals leaves are much more yellow than the Stanleys.
As far as overall vigor goes, all 4 are about matched; one Stanley actually has a plum on it.

These trees, being in that close to each other, get the exact same spray, water, fert., sun (all day)
I can't imagine why the leaf color difference..??...??
Anybody??

Meanwhile down here in MA zone 6, the Miller Big Blue plum tree is kicking out fruit as usual.
Unless I go on vacation. Then the two cats get locked in the house.
Then, as someone mentioned, the squirrels ABSOLUTELY HARVEST EVERY PLUM; no survivors!
They are deathly afraid of BOTH cats, as they know they will go right up the tree after them, and have done so. I don't care for cats at all, but these 2 earn their keep.

Murph