nafex - [NAFEX] Blackberry trellising and mulching

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blackberry trellising and mulching
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:24:50 -0500

Mark,
Trellising blackberries really facilitates picking. I use twine so, at the end of the season, I clip each old cane and clip the twine and toss the whole works on the burn pile.
When I first start picking, I make windrows of the primocanes, laying them down so I can get at the berries unhampered (by primocanes in the way). Then I step over each windrow and all the fruit is exposed, easy to pick. Occasionally a stem will resist being laid over and will break off but I'd rather have a few broken canes than to be constantly moving upright primocanes out of the way so I can pick.

Mulching: I mulch everything, including the garden veggies and aisles (and all have T-tape drip irrigation. I like to make the mulch 4" to 6" thick so the are never any weeds to pull.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

Thanks for the advice Jim and Michael. Three feet seemed a little short to
me too. I think I read pruning is to keep them from blowing over. We do
get some pretty good winds here in Kansas, and I only trellised the Triple
Crown, but I like the idea of not having to stoop to pick. After the plants
get some maturity (producing thicker and more canes) I'd like to try just
letting them grow.

On a related issue, do you all recommend mulching the plants? Will the new
canes push up through the mulch?

Mark

  • [NAFEX] Blackberry trellising and mulching, Jim Fruth, 06/29/2007