nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Badgersett hazelnuts

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Badgersett hazelnuts
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 05:46:12 -0500

Phil Rutter, the brains behind the Badgersett operation, is off the power
grid, and has only recently become a bit more connected with the outside
world. You have to walk a half mile of trail to get to his cabin--stuff
appears to have been hauled in by hand.. He's a bit of the absent-minded
professor (though I think he's a drop-out PhD candidate). They sell small
liners of seed started in the spring (in Phil's big earth-sheltered solar
heated greenhouse) and often don't have stuff available to fill all orders
until July. The mail order customer service set-up is not the best and it
is often hard to get a hold of them once the season starts. I don't want to
apologize on Badgersett's behalf, obviously, or to excuse customer service
problems, but they're not a rip-off joint. Phil has single-handedly created
the bush hazelnut which may be emerging as a viable crop for the Mid-west
and deserves great credit for that, if not for his business acumen. Keep
trying, you won't find hazelnut material like his anywhere else in the
world.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3---where Badgersett's hazel's grow
great--now if I just have the time to harvest them this year--when I leave
them to the voles and mice I get little caches of nuts everywhere--hauled
several hundred feet, a nut at a time---this, more than anything else, lets
me know how big the hidden rodent population is at my place.