nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:37:12 -0400

On Jun 22, 2007, at 7:49 AM, jerry sietsema wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>Just wondering if fish emulsions like Neptunes Harvest keep deer away.               skip s zone 5</x-tad-smaller>

They don't seem to like the taste, so if it's actually all over the plant, they'll go eat something else; presuming there is something else for them to eat. If they're hungry enough, it probably won't work.

You also need to reapply occasionally, especially if it's rained.

Is Neptune's Harvest supposedly "descented"? if so, I don't know if it would work as well. I use Saltwater Farms; primarily for a nutrient boost on new transplants, but it does help keep the deer off a while. I sometimes also use blood meal for a repellent, scattered lightly either over the plants or around the edges of the field (small field sections); again, this works best when they have plenty of other stuff to eat.

People don't like the taste either; so you don't want to put either of these directly on the plants to be harvested if the crop is anywhere near ready.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly