nafex - [NAFEX] Ram pumps

  • From: parker@worldpath.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ram pumps
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:26:03 -0400

DOnna,

I have operated and built ram pumps for many years; one of the most critical points is that the feed line needs to be straight and made of metal with no leaks in order to work well. And yes there is a matching of the length of the ram pipe to the available head to get optimal pumping in my opinion.

Somewhere in my files is a design paper I wrote many years ago on ram pumps, after reading literature that I could find over the past century. As you probably know, until the REA came with electricity in the 1930's many rural homes had a ram pump and windmills (Sears sold both). I could snail mail that paper if it would be of interest.

You wrote:

Thank you for all the helpful advice! My husband got out the ram pump he
put together over 10 years ago, which we have never needed till now. He and
my son spent a hot afternoon sloshing around in the shade in the cold spring
fed creek (a thankless task but someone has to do it.) They put everything
together using pipe we'd bought in years past for other purposes. The pump
would start and stop, and did worse on the second day, but straightening out
the intake pipe helped. They sat and watched the 100' of 1 1/2" intake pipe
and noted that it creates a rhythm of it's own, the water running smooth and
steady, then becoming chaotic and jerky, without the pump even attached.
There are some small holes in the intake pipe which may be creating
turbulence, but they also allow air to escape. They've blocked and
unblocked those holes repeatedly, with inconclusive results. Any comments
on this might be helpful. I note that some say to bring the water to a box
and get all the drop in one go to the pump.

--
Hank Parker
Campton NH