nafex - [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry

  • From: Chex <chex.rice@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:56:07 -0500

2 years ago I planted 8 northline serviceberries as a hedge across the
front of my property. This is the first year that I got to try them.
I had a lot of flowers but 3/4 of them aborted before becoming full
size. I did get to pick a pint of them this weekend though and can
totally see the comparison to blueberries except less of the acid
balance. Everyone I let try them liked them and some are going to
order their own plants. I'm really hoping to havest a gallon or more
next year. Now if all of them could ripen and not abort . . . I'm
thinking it might be a pollination issue that will diminish when the
plants produce even more flowers.

Chris
zone 5a, IL

  • [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry, Chex, 06/19/2007