nafex - Re: [NAFEX] japanese beetles and avian predators

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] japanese beetles and avian predators
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:41:59 -0400

Can I just keep guinea hens or some type of domestic fowl in my fenced
orchard to eat the bad bugs such as Japanese beetles? Because it is the
only area safe from deer I keep all my fruit and vegetable gardens
there. I had not considered fowl before because I had assumed that they
would eat my delicious Sun Gold tomatoes (among other things).

Does anyone have experience with these birds as garden predators?

Betsy Hilborn
NC 7a