nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pakistan Mulberry in zone 6

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pakistan Mulberry in zone 6
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:47:24 -0500

The bird told me!

----- Original Message -----
From: "drosehngs1@juno.com"
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:50:48 GMT

Ok, I'll bite - how do you know the birds think it tastes like a cross
between a worm & a berry?

Please note: message attached

Click to get 150,000 in student loans and find the lowest rates
http://track.juno.com/s/lc?u=http://tagline.untd.us/fc/CAaCX09tVR6vRB2h9yygJ6QkTMJ9fULw/
I thought it wasn't possible, but I wanted to try it. Two years ago I grafted a Pakistan mulberry on a seedling mulberry here in zone 6. It had survived 2 winters, with little die backs. This year it fruited nicely. The Pakistan was the earliest ripening mulberry variety I've seen, at least 2 weeks earlier than the wild mulberries.
Here's a photo of the tree setting fruit.

Here's how the fruit compare with other varieties.
On the left: Pakistan, Greece, and a wild mulberry.

As you notice the pakistan isn't as dark as I though it would be, but it's fully ripe. At first I kept the fruit hanging on the tree wanted it to get darker, but apparently that's the color it got when fully ripe.
The taste is very good, on a scale from 1 to 10 I'll rate it a 7 and rate Greece 8, Illinois I rate it a 10. The juice doesn't stain the fingers, the birds think it's a cross between worms and a berry so they prefer it over wild ones.

Bassem Samaan
zone 6, Bethlehem, Pa

--
Get a free mail.com account & e-mail address today!
Choose from over 100 personalized domains.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----
To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also
can be used to change other email options):