nafex - Re: [NAFEX] trials, serviceberry and pear

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] trials, serviceberry and pear
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 11:11:54 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I'll have to partially agree with Chris... Spalding does not have much
flavor. However, it is far superior to some of the old Southern pears like
Kieffer and Orient. It is also very resistant to blight in much of the
Southeast, although Ethan reports it gets quite infected in the Houston area.
Spalding is also highly productive and bears annually with minimal pruning.
Finally, it often develops beautiful fall color, unlike many pear cultivars,
making it a nice landscape tree.

In my opinion, Spalding is mostly suited for culinary uses (& perhaps
fermentation when blended with flavorful apples or other juices- anyone tried
using Spalding this way?). For fresh eating, Warren, Potomac, Magness &
Ayres are the best buttery-fleshed pears that I've grown in the Southeast,
Megietsu (sp?) is a good Asian, but is blight susceptible & Green Jade is an
excellent intermediate-texture pear.

Anton
Zone 8 (rain, at last!)