nafex - Re: [NAFEX] growing asparagus commercially

  • From: SuziRT <suzirt@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] growing asparagus commercially
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:31:01 -0500

Rick,
Two links for you:
1)  White Asparagus Production in Alberta
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex5444?opendocument

2)  ATTRA has a publication on growing asparagus organically (as well as many fruits, vegetables and other crops - it's a great resource!). The link to the list of veggie crops is: http://www.attra.org/horticultural.html#Vegetables
scroll down to find "Orgainic Asparagus Production."
There are links to the html and pdf versions.  However, at the top of the html formated page is the message:

This publication contains references to enclosures which are available in hard copy only. Please call our toll free number to receive a copy. 1-800-346-9140

The reason I mention that is becuase this pub has a paragraph pertaining to white asparagus production (see below) referring to an enclosed article. This article isn't in the electronic version, hence you need to call ATTRA.

Good luck on growing 'gus!!
----Suzi
Librarian, Paul Evans Library of Fruit Science, Missouri State University

White Asparagus

White asparagus is produced when spears are grown in the absence of light. White asparagus has a milder flavor than green asparagus and thus brings a higher ("gourmet") market price. The traditional practice for blanching asparagus was to mound up soil or straw over the asparagus row. Hand labor was required to manage and harvest the mounds and consequently the mound technique is no longer practiced in the U.S.

Dr. Don Makus, while research horticulturist with the USDA Agricultural Research Service in Booneville, Arkansas, perfected the use of simple row tunnels covered with black, opaque plastic to produce white asparagus. (Dr. Makus has since relocated to a USDA station in Texas.) Enclosed is White Asparagus Production Using Opaque Plastic Covers, an article describing this technique.

[White Asparagus Production Using Opaque Plastic Covers in: Arkansas farm research - Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station. 40, no. 2 (Mar/Apr 1991. ): p. 10-11.]