nafex - [NAFEX] Canadensis vs. Nigra Elder

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Canadensis vs. Nigra Elder
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 23:22:42 -0400

Hello Jim Fruth;

I guess I'm curious as to the differences of Canadensis such as York and Nova, versus Nigra; Samdal particularly. Most of these berries will wind up in wine. As it is now, I make a decent wine with apple cider and dried Elderberries (Nigra). This will be selling on my farm in a few years. Also, the buzz is Elder will be bumping out Echinacea as the new cold remedy. Wouldn't hurt to have a few hundred plants in if this happens.
    Propagation of these things, from what one website shows, is hardly more than jamming a softwood cutting into a pot of dirt. Root cuttings also are an easy way to multiply them. It would be splendid to hear from someone who has grown both, and could provide a brief comparison between the two.

Thank you.

Richard Murphy
z4 Maine  z6 MA