nafex - Re: [NAFEX] split limbs

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] split limbs
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 19:07:38 -0500

Toni,

If any of the limb tips have died, but there is new growth sprouting from the same branch, prune back the dead part to the new growth bud.  If you leave any dead wood on peach trees, the dead wood can become infected with disease, usually canker.  The split in the trunk should be wrapped to prevent borers from entering.

Two years ago I had a large (3") scaffold (branch) split down the middle about 8" and was about to break off.  I needed to give it support and wrap it right away so I would'nt lose the branch or get borers.  All I had with me at the time was electrical tape.  I figured why not and wrapped it tight with the black electrical tape.  I took the tape off a couple of weeks ago after 2 years and the split had completely healed over and I could hardly tell where it had occurred.  Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.  The tape stretched as the branch grew and left no indentation.  I now use electrical tape to wrap any tree trunk injury.