nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple borer

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple borer
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 14:10:47 -0500

Bass,

If you see little holes along the branch, then it could be shothole borer.  Shothole borer is the only one i can think of that would attack the branch.  There are many types of borers that will attack apple trees, but they typically attack at the burr knot from the graft.  M26 is a rootstock that is highly susceptible to borers.  Visit http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/pests/g07190.htm and you will see a list of the different borers, where the damage is most likely to occur and other very pertinent information on how to combat them.  Hope this helps.