nafex - [NAFEX] NAFEX Discussion Topics and Breadth

  • From: BRosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] NAFEX Discussion Topics and Breadth
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:39:45 -0400

As an amateur, I joined NAFEX to learn and explore, as best I could, fruit. If I set limits on that, I would never have found out about Persimmon pudding, or Mayhaw jam, or Green Gage plums. The encouragement I receive on the listserve has been immense, even if not always directed at li'l ol me. I don't have a heated glass greenhouse, but I am interested in what will grow where, and when a greenhouse might be appropriate. Not everything is my cup of tea, but then - I am learning! Exploring for me is learning. I'm not much of a hiker and can't tell trees apart very well, but am working on it - maybe one day, I can walk through a woods and spot a rare American Chestnut, too!

I completely agree about moderation of the "polar" opinions expressed. For example, genetic studies may not be a bad thing and I am not against research, but haphazard release of relatively unstudied-for-safety genetically modified pollen in order to satisfy a corporate drive for monopolization is irresponsible in my opinion. Especially if it ends up damaging our planetary environment, already struggling with modern era toxicity. However, well researched and properly funded genetic science might even help us undo some of the toxic problems we have by learning more about what actually makes us tick - we might find a better way! Which one of us said, "Attributing motives to a person often is erroneous." - except he said it better... I liked the discussion and found it extremely educational. It encouraged me to look up articles and find out what is the truth about GM: What do they really know, and what is it really?

It is the tendency of our culture to take strong positions, and we should always remember that we don't know everything and thank goodness we don't have to! We have all these other wonderful NAFEX people with tremendous resources to help our ignorance and challenge our assumptions.

Thanks for listening to the rant,

Barbara Rosholdt
Z7 Virginia

  • [NAFEX] NAFEX Discussion Topics and Breadth, BRosholdt, 04/16/2007