nafex - [NAFEX] Freeze news...

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Freeze news...
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:46:55 -0400

Hello All,

Newspaper articles are starting to report on the freeze damage.  Does anyone know if there is an online map of the US that lays out the freeze damaged areas?  There is little if any damage where I am in Ontario (about 2 hours north of the border).  Later, Tom

---

http://www.examiner.com/a655769~Growers_report_some_freeze_damage_to_fruit_trees_but_not_severe.html

Growers report some freeze damage to fruit trees but not severe

WENATCHEE, Wash. (Map, News) - Eastern Washington fruit growers and their crews worked well into the wee hours to prevent damage from a serious spring freeze and largely succeeded, an industry official said.

Temperatures dropped into the teens in parts of northcentral Washington early Tuesday as growers fired up smudge pots and switched on propeller-like fans. Some sprayed their trees with water, insulating buds beneath a layer of ice at 32 degrees.”…

=======

http://www.tmnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6458&Itemid=43

Eyeing the Damage

Southern Indiana: …Byers said all his pears and blackberries are gone, but he still has cherries, apples and peaches near the tops of the trees.

“There’s nothing we can do but wait and see,” he explained. “It will probably be a couple of weeks before we’ll really know what to expect.”

Melton, owner of Melton’s Orchard and Country Market in Bloomington, said the frigid weather probably wiped out his crop for this growing season.

“I seriously doubt we’ll have any peaches at all this year,” he reported. “I mean they just look pitiful. The leaves are wilted, and I just don’t see any hope.”…