nafex - [NAFEX] Blueberries decline

  • From: BRosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blueberries decline
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 18:09:24 -0400

I planted my blueberries by removing the heavy red clay soil and replacing with sphagnum and sand.  However, they have not been thriving.  They seem to get smaller and poorer every year.  Am I keeping them too wet?  I use a drip hose on them when it is dry.  I've heard one source say Calcium Carbonate would help loosen soil.  I have always put  wood chips on them in the winter and last year added a little sulfur and blood meal, to no avail.  I definitely am not overfertilizing them. Edible Landscaping advised that the northern varieties I was trying to grow (Duke, Patriot, O'Neal, Bluecrop) are more sensitive to the issues we have with soil and climate here in central Virginia, so I have planted a Star and Sunshine to see if they would do better.  Anyone have any other advice?

Barbara R.
Z7a central Virginia

Re: [NAFEX] Chlorosis blueberries