nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rosehips (and mulberry thanks)

  • From: "Jenny Ruth Yasi" <voices@maine.rr.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rosehips (and mulberry thanks)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:24:32 -0400

Thanks for the mulberry encouragement! Much appreciated! I can't wait to have mulberries.

We have lots of rosa rugosas here, white, pink, and so double pinks, with thick juicy flesh and a central core that is just tons of seeds. We are on the coast of Maine so these are the naturalized roses that grow in rocks and sand all along the rocky ledge seashore ( they love seaweed), and the ones I have in my garden are growing in a thin clay on top of shale rock. They are so tough. Nothing bothers them. I have other roses, which all need way too much pampering (and I am tired of pampering them) but the rosa rugosas aren't even much bothered by Japanese beetles, they don't get any kind of mold or funk. Some years they get wormy though, so maybe hanging tanglefoot balls, as with apples, is a good idea for cultivating rosehips?

Processing is the problem. Someone needs to come up with a tool to remove the seeds and save the outer pulp/fruit, but I just remove the hairy part with my fingers, pull apart and simmer the whole (seeds and all) very very slowly, on very low heat, and very gently stir to separate the seeds, which together with any worms float, and skim them off, and/or strain. It makes an amazing tea or syrup or cider, depending on how much water/hips you use.

Yasi

  • Re: [NAFEX] rosehips (and mulberry thanks), Jenny Ruth Yasi, 03/22/2007